Intrinsic properties of fiber optic sensing, like immunity for electromagnetic interference, lightweight, small sized and corrosion resistance are some of the unique features that are fully exploited in many different applications by TNO’s fiber optic sensing experts.
Fiber optic sensing technology provides our customers unique insight in mechanical, biological and industrial processes. The sensing principle is based on the interaction of light with its surroundings brought to the measurement location by means of an optical fiber. There are a number of advantages of using light for sensing combined with a small sized and light weighted optical fiber:
- unique optical multiplexing potential, i.e. a large number of fiber optic sensors even for different measurands can be addressed and read out by a minimal number of lead fibers;
- intrinsically safe in explosive environments by using light;
- unprecedented sensitivity and dynamic range;
- extreme temperature, pressure and corrosion resistant;
- unsusceptible to Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI).
The possibility for a fiber sensor network using optical multiplexing is in particular of interest for Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) of large constructions in civil engineering, off-shore and Oil&Gas. This is beneficial to high value assets that need monitoring to guarantee safety, cost effective maintenance and unexpected downtime.
- Fiber optic sensing: FBG sensor; distributed sensing network
- Structure Health Monitoring (SHM)
- We develop tailored solutions to the customers sensing needs. We develop the complete system from sensor to up to the processing algorithms allowing the users to visualize their process. The sensor system development extends to a prototype level after which we play a consulting role in the first series production of the sensor system.
Models and equipment:
- Fiber optics sensor design tools
- Fiber optics engineering and testing lab